Sunday, February 22, 2015

Midnight Marsupial Munchies

Our cat, Bubs, lives outdoors most of the time. He's got a nice setup really. A heated pet bed on the front porch, always fresh water, and of course a bowl of food standing at the ready. I try to bring in the bowl each night before I go to bed to discourage other animals coming up in the night and eating from Bub's bowl.  Last night I forgot until late in the night.  When I went outside to retrieve the bowl, I could see tiny animal footprints around the bowl that wasn't a cat's footprint.  It was a slender footprint, with long toes.  Being raised in the South and being around animals all my life, I recognized the footprints as an Opossum footprint.  Anyway, I brought the bowl in and went to bed.
This morning upon awakening I went outside to say hello to Bubs and bring him breakfast.  That's when I noticed a dead Opossum in our front yard.  I quickly disposed of the body in the woods in front of the house by the lake.  Bubs takes his food seriously I guess.  Being 24 pounds of all male cat (well OK, he was neutered as a young cat) he had no problem in handling the likes of a freeloading Opossum.  I felt bad for the little guy, but in nature the strong survive.  I don't worry too much about Bub's, he has proven over the years that he can take care of himself.

1 comment: