Friday, April 24, 2015

Singing Despite Adversity

A Ligustrum grows near the side of my home, and like most of the scrubs this time of year, it's flush with flowers and dark green foliage.  It provides the perfect environment for a bird to build their nest and start a new family.  So it has been for the past few years.  Several generations of Mockingbirds have built nests in this shrub, laid eggs, hatched a new generation and eventually seen their new hatchlings off into the world.   This year is no exception to the new brood that occupies my attention.
This morning while sitting on the front porch listening to the Mother Mockingbird I was struck with such a feeling of love for where I live, thankful for what I have, and felt a bit guilty for some of the complaints I voice within my inner-self occasionally.  This Mother Mockingbird was singing as if all was well in the world, yet I knew she had lost a baby just the day before when our cat had grabbed one of her babies that fell out of it's nest. The cat acting on instinct instantly sank his teeth into the back of the baby bird and ended it's life, yet here this Mother was singing and bringing happiness into my life.  It gave me pause to contemplate where her happiness originated, and my own life.
What if people were more like this Mother bird shaking off the sadness that will come to everyone's life eventually.  What if we could turn our thoughts away from negativity, and instead be thankful for the blessing of life?  In our own way, what if we cold sing in the face of adversity and inspire others without condition?  I was given the gift of an epiphany this morning.  No one can guarantee life is fair, but life has been granted to us regardless, and it can be beautiful.    

No comments:

Post a Comment